Wednesday, February 9, 2022

January Slog

I've always felt like January is a month that is just...there. Christmas is over, and we are two months away from spring. At least we have hockey to keep us excited. Rock had his annual Apple Cup Tournament and played well.
Rock and Ryker were begging for poutine, so Rissa, Hampa and I hooked them up with homemade fries and gravy.

We had the fryer out, so Grandma 
Rock's tournament was Saturday, Sunday and Monday. He played Saturday, and his team lost one and tied another. That put them in last place in their pool and it looked like they were going to play early on Monday morning. That was good news, because I had purchased Kraken tickets in November for the kids for Christmas before I knew that there was a tournament on that Monday. Because the Kraken have sucked for 10 games in a row, the tickets were not selling even when listed below market value. DeA thought that it would make for a fun, albeit crazy busy, day to go to Rock's game, then immediately drive to Seattle and come home after the Kraken lost. We booked a hotel in Wenatchee for Sunday night in preparation for the early morning and took the kids down. Right as we pulled into the hotel, I got a text from Rock's team that there were two upsets on Sunday and his team now played at 10:45. We didn't need the hotel and we definitely were not going to make it to the Kraken. Rock was bummed, Ryker was devasted and Jens was fine. I gave the tickets away to an old mission companion and he thanked me by sending me a bunch of XBox points that made the boys happy.

Rock played well in his game but the rest of his team played like they were not excited to win third place. They lost by a few goals, but we had giant pancakes for lunch and the kids were happy. My buddy texted me pics of his little boys enjoying the Kraken's overtime shootout win, but I thought that I should keep the game results away from Ryker and Rock. Right before bed, Ryker asked how the Kraken game went, and I lied and said that I didn't know. He looked it up anyway and was absolutely ticked when he saw the way that they had won. He told Rock "I had to miss an overtime shootout game to watch you lose!!" It took him way to long too calm down and go to sleep. Anyway, here's a pic of Rock at breakfast at the hotel.

Ryker plays every Wednesday at 5:15. I take work off early about every other week to make it to his games. They do 3 minute shifts, and the first 5 players off the ice get to start the next shift, so he sprints toward the bench with about 5 or 10 seconds left in his shift to be the first one off.

He scored his first goal this year on a tap-in put-back. He celebrated with a large Hot and Ready and Gatorade.

Leo Baby knows how to say my name, so I rewarded him with a giant cotton candy.

The school asked me to do the starting lineups for the basketball games. Jens wanted to come with me and watch the girls game.
She is mostly quiet, but asks questions like "why don't they try and put it in the basket every time?" or "what is that clock for?".
She came upstairs with me to help me do the lineups.

I think it's great for her to watch girls basketball, because then she can use those skills on the court.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment